A long-rumored move to Kissimmee became “Facebook official” this week when Hamburger Mary’s, an iconic restaurant announced its new location.
According its social media feed, the new Kissimmee location will be in the former Capone's Dinner Theater location on West Highway 192. The post stated that the property is currently undergoing remodeling and will include with free on-site parking and a hotel on the property to stay close to the attractions.
Hamburger Mary’s had been located on Church Street in downtown Orlando before closing in 2024. In the weeks following a move to Kissimmee had been rumored but not confirmed.
“We’re happy to come to Osceola County,” owner John Paonessa said. “We feel this will be a good fit for the community there. We're an open-air bar and grill for open minded people,” Owner John Paonessa said. “It’s a safe space for the LGBTQ + community.”
Paonessa said the move has been the biggest workload after being in one spot for 16 years. Paonessa said their Jacksonville location had closed down due to a fire last year, and their Orlando location has been suffering from low foot traffic due to some of the changes in the city.
“It is sad because at one point we had seven locations here,” Paonessa said. “But we are still kicking.”
“We were in a great space for many years, but having a restaurant downtown has become a little more problematic,” Paonessa said. “We just said, you know, it's time for us to go somewhere where people could pull up and park and have a little more space. And we found a place that works really well.”
Paonessa said their Jacksonville location had closed down due to a fire last year, and their Orlando location has been suffering from low foot traffic due to some of the changes in the city. But the Jacksonville franchise held a soft re-opening last week with a grand re-opening in April, and now the Kissimmee move is official.
Paonessa said some of the events hosted at the restaurant will be Twisted Bingo on Tuesday, Dining with the Diva on Friday, Mary’s and Mimosa Brunch on Saturday, Cabaret dinner shows on Saturday nights, and much more.
Paonessa said customers can be themselves and that the entertainment that his restaurant provides is drag performances and charity events.
Ed Bohannon-Dobski, also known as drag performer Trixie Deluxxe, said they have been performing on and off as a special guest at Hamburger Mary’s for 15 years. They said they host the Saturday evening Mimosa Brunch with comedy while their husband, who goes by Sheila from accounting, sings songs from Taylor Swift and Megan Trainer.
But the move is not without controversy.
“It's really been fantastic and a lot of support since our governor went a little crazy about drag queens,” Bohannon said. “Our support has really increased from the community.”
Senate Bill 1438 signed by Gov. Ron DeSantis prohibits the admission of a child to an adult live performance. According to the bill, anyone who violates this prohibition commits a first-degree misdemeanor, which is punishable by imprisonment that does not exceed 1 year and a fine that does not exceed $1,000.
The bill also states that if a public food service knowingly admits a child to an adult live performance, the establishment is subject to having that license suspended or revoked and being fined.
“Last year, we filed a lawsuit against the state of Florida for infringing on the First Amendment rights of drag performers and telling establishments that host drag shows do not allow anyone under 18 years old to enter,” Paonessa said.
Paonessa said Representative Randy Fine put the law together and has been spreading that, “Drag queens are pedophiles, perverts, and groomers. He said since then, their phones have been ringing with death threats and slander.
“They are creating this false narrative on what is happening at the restaurant, and that’s the reason we are fighting back,” Paonessa said. “The case was taken to the Supreme Court, and they put an injunction on the bill until we go to trial.”