16 'Con's traveling to meet minors for sex arrested in multi-agency sting operation

The Osceola County Sheriff's Office, backed by its partners in Kissimmee, St. Cloud and Orlando, announced the arrest of 16 people who they say arranged to meet minors for sex.

From March 18-21 detectives from Osceola's ICAC (Internet Crimes Against Children) worked with officers from the Kissimmee, St. Cloud, Orlando, Lake City, Homeland Security and deputies in Orange and Polk counties to arrest the men they say the caught trying to prey on children they met online.

Of the 16 men nabbed in "Operation Catch-A-Con", 15 of them traveled to meet what they thought was a minor child for sex (one was arrested in Hillsborough County on a warrant there). They were charged with traveling to meet/lure a child for unlawful sexual acts, unlawful use of a two-way communication device to facilitate a felony, harmful explicit communication to a minor, attempted lewd and lascivious battery with a victim between 12-16 years of age and criminal intent to seduce or coax.

Florida Attorney General James Uthmeier came to town Wednesday to be a part of the announcement of the arrests.

“I want to thank these agencies and partners for doing the most important thing, which is protecting our kids,” Uthmeier said.

 Osceola Sheriff Chris Blackmon said the evidence against the suspects includes chat logs and travel records.

“These individuals traveled intending to have sex with children. These 16 suspects contacted minors and sent explicit messages and arrived at designated locations. We are actively pursuing those who prey on our children. I wish I could report to you this is the end of the line, but it’s not. Our work is far from over.”

Arrest affidavits for the 15 captured locally showed the arrests made at one of four Kissimmee locations. The general story among them is that the suspects responded to social media and other online ads, and furthered stories and plans to meet for sex when law enforcement posing as teenagers gave their ages.

In two cases, a suspect sent a message, deputies arranged the meeting and made the arrest in less than three hours.

The suspects ranged in ages from 19 to 41. While one suspect had a Miami address listed, the rest points from Deltona to Haines City, including five from Osceola County: James Macrae, 19, of St. Cloud; and Gary Robinson, 38, Sroas Tes, 36, Steven Zamora, 24, and Joseph Grausso, 41, of Kissimmee.

 “This evil can hide anywhere, but if you hunt our children, you will become the hunted. Our mission is to protect our children,” Blackmon said. “We are watching what you are doing. There’s nowhere to hide on the internet. We will not stop until every predator in our community. These arrests are just the beginning.”

He also issued a stern warning to parents about the content their children consume online. 

“Be vigilant. Talk to them about the dangers of online gaming platforms, cellphones, chat groups,” he said. “(Uthmeier) filed lawsuits against (online gaming platform) Roblox, it’s a predator’s stomping ground.”

Uthmeier said the 16 individuals arrested, and dozens more in similar operations around the state, are among “the greatest threat to families in this state that there is.”

“Pure evil,” he called them. “Because they’re going after our kids. We will not stop calling for the longest sentences we can get. We’re going to continue prosecuting these cases. I hate that these guys are out there, but they are and we’re gonna keep fighting.

Uthmeier said 1,400 sexual predators have been arrested statewide in the last year, and that Florida will defend its stance of issuing the death penalty for those found guilty of sexual battery on minors, even if it has to defend the position with the Supreme Court.

“More people are turning toward this grotesque behavior, but we’re utilizing to stay ahead of the criminals and detect what we couldn’t detect before. There’s a reason why Florida is the safest state to raise a family. Our law enforcement knows we have their backs. God bless the people doing the hard work day-to-day, reviewing horrific evidence.

“I always pray when we do these that we don’t find anybody. You’re a moron if you do this in Florida.”

Rita Peters, Office of Statewide Prosecution, said Operation Catch-A-Con was one of the proactive operations designed to respond before children are victimized.

“It’s the mission I’ve worked my entire life for, to keep our children protected,” she said. It’s not a campaign promise, it’s a fundamental public safety responsibility. Online exploitation is not confirmed to digital spaces. Traveling will result in your arrest and prosecution. Online anonymity will no longer protect you. “