St. Cloud officer, dead suspect identified after stabbing of 9-year-old girl

  • Officer, suspect identified
    Officer, suspect identified

The St. Cloud Police Department has identified both the officer and the suspect he shot and killed after the stabbing of a 9-year-old girl on Tuesday

The policeman has been identified as Officer Devin Dunn. He has been employed with the St. Cloud Police Department since Dec. 12, 2019.

The deceased suspect has been identified as 21-year-old Jahsean Iandie Hodge. Officer Dunn remains on administrative leave.

At about 12:45 p.m., two 911 calls were made to the St. Cloud Police Department about the violent attack and stabbing of the 9-year-old victim in the area of Lakeshore Boulevard and Georgia Avenue, said Police Chief Pete Gauntlett.

When officers arrived on scene, a witness reported seeing a suspect, later identified as Hodge, acting very erratically running on foot with visible wounds. He had run through several backyards and burglarized an RV.

At 12:50 p.m., police made contact with the suspect matching the description of the man. A confrontation then ensued with one of the officers.

“He (Dunn) subsequently used deadly force and shot the suspect,” Gauntlett said.

Paramedics were called to work on the Hodge, but he was pronounced dead at the scene, Gauntlett added.

An investigation revealed that the young victim was driven to St. Cloud Medical Center and then transported to Arnold Palmer Hospital in Orlando in critical condition. She suffered multiple fractures to her face and stab wounds to her upper body and face, Gauntlett said.

The victim remains hospitalized with substantial injuries.

In a press release, the St. Cloud Police Department said it continues to aggressively investigate the vicious attack of the victim, as well as collect extensive evidence in this incident. This investigation is being conducted in partnership with the Department of Children and Families (DCF). The Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) continues to investigate the officer involved shooting.

This is an on-going investigation, and more information will be made available as the investigation permits, the press release stated.