Poinciana High School English teacher Joseph Malfara has been nominated for the 2019-20 national LifeChanger of the Year award.
Malfara was nominated by his principal, Jeffrey Schwartz, for his tireless commitment to his students and his ability to build positive relationships.
Even relatively early in his teaching career, he has a dynamic teaching style, evidenced by his willingness to continuously improve and research best practices.
Malfara is also heavily involved in his school community. Whether he’s acting as the “Voice of the Eagles” by announcing at school events, or participating in student versus staff basketball games, he has become well-known and loved by students and staff alike. This year, he was chosen as a Poinciana High School Teacher of the Year.
“Anyone who has had an encounter with Joe feels blessed to have been in his presence. We appreciate him as our Poinciana High School Teacher of the Year for all that he does to make those around him better. This is the true sign of a gifted teacher, and downright great man,” said Schwartz.
About LifeChanger of
Sponsored by the National Life Group Foundation, LifeChanger of the Year recognizes and rewards the very best K-12 educators and school district employees across the United States who are making a difference in the lives of students by exemplifying excellence, positive influence and leadership.
Each school year, LifeChanger of the Year receives hundreds of nominations from all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Seventeen individual LifeChanger of the Year awards will be given during the 2019-2020 school year.
• Grand Prize Winner – will receive $10,000 to be shared with their school/district.
• (4) Grand Prize Finalists – will receive $5,000 to be shared with their school/district.
• (10) LifeChanger Award Winners – will receive $3,000 to be shared with their school/district.
• (1) Spirit Award Winner – This award is given to the nominee whose community demonstrates the most support for their nomination. The winner will receive $5,000 to be shared with their school/district.
• (1) Spotlight Award Winner – This award is given to a nominee in a specific discipline each year. For 2019-20, the Spotlight Award will be given to a nominee who has made a proven impact on school safety. The winner will receive $5,000 to be shared with their school or district.
Winners are announced via surprise award ceremonies held at their schools. The grand prize finalists will also be honored at a national awards ceremony in April 2020 in Florida, where the Grand Prize Winner will be revealed.
Winners are chosen by a selection committee comprised of former winners and education professionals. Nominees must be K-12 teachers or school district employees. To be considered for an award, nominees must:
• Make a positive impact in the lives of students.
• Enhance their school or district’s atmosphere, culture and pride.
• Demonstrate exemplary leadership at the school and/or district level
• Possess a proven record of professional excellence.
• Show commitment to building a nurturing environment that supports learning.
• Adhere to the highest moral and ethical standards.
A resource page with ideas for how to celebrate nominees can be found at http://lifechangeroftheyear.com/showspirit/.
To view Malfara’s LifeChanger of the Year nominee profile, or to nominate someone from your school community, visit www.LifeChangeroftheYear.com.