The Florida Municipal Electric Association has presented its 2018 Building Strong Communities Award to Kissimmee Utility Authority for the utility’s strong commitment to addressing community needs during the past year. KUA was one of 13 utilities honored statewide.
FMEA executive director Amy Zubaly presented the award to KUA during ceremonies held Oct. 24 at the association’s Energy Connections Conference and Trade Show in Kissimmee.
The award is presented annually to utilities that enhance the quality of life in their communities through activities that address community needs and improve the area’s social, cultural, educational and economic environment.
“Being a part of the community is about more than making sure the lights are on,” said Zubaly. “The recipients of the 2018 FMEA Building Strong Communities Awards excel in not only taking an interest in seeing their communities succeed, but also actively working toward making them better places to live and building strong communities.”
In the past year, KUA supported nearly 100 community organizations and activities that impacted a combined 250,000 residents. Notable projects included:
• Daily employee delivery of meals to homebound seniors through Meals on Wheels.
• Distribution of 70,000 free hurricane preparedness guides.
• Sponsorship of the first Puerto Rican cultural parade through downtown Kissimmee.
• Funding of Osceola County Library System’s Prime Time family reading program.
• Hosting of six community blood drives.
• Funding of five college scholarships for local high school students.
• Support of Thanksgiving meals for homeless military veterans.
• Participation in holiday toy drives for children in need.
• Packing of 20,000 meals by employees to aid the most vulnerable in our community and abroad.
“Partnering with the community is a core value of our organization and part of our mission statement,” said KUA president and general manager Jim Welsh. “I am thrilled that KUA has again received statewide recognition for its work in the local community.”
KUA’s mission statement: To provide reliable and economical services to our customers while partnering with the community and the environment.