It’s a celebration, alright!
The eighth annual Great Irish Hooley Music Festival is returning for another year at Disney Springs’ Raglan Road Irish Pub and Restaurant.
What’s a hooley, you ask? It’s a Gaelic term, translating to a celebration that’s meant to be fun for the whole family. So that means everyone’s invited. The festival is Central Florida’s rip-roaring, toe-tapping, high-voltage celebration — serving an array of Irish food and music all Labor Day Weekend long.
The culinary team is offering new bites for this year’s festival, plus a new local craft beer celebration with Crooked Can Brewing: the Devil’s Foot Blackberry Golden Ale. But, of course, guests can order Raglan Road’s famous beer-battered fish and chips, Shepherd’s pie and more. (There are even gluten-free entrees on the party menu.)
And for the music, guests can expect to hear traditional Irish, Celt grass, folk, blues and soul tunes.
Check out just some of the weekend’s entertainment lineup:
• Billow Wood – Playing Irish and U.S. music festivals, this four-piece band fuses its unique brand of instrumentation with multi-vocals and harmonies for a blend of Irish and folk music. The band, which released its long-play album, “Can You See Me” – available for streaming and downloading on Spotify and other music sites – will have everyone tapping along to its bass and drums.
• Strings & Things – Before returning to Raglan Road this summer, the original Irish folk/trad four-piece band Strings & Things toured in London and throughout Ireland with their own original sound and a variety of crossover songs featured on their first original album, “Turbulence.”
• High Time – This fresh new trio from Connemara, Ireland, combines Irish music and an intriguing blend of modern folk influences to produce a rich sound and exciting experience. The band rocks an energetic statement with its instrumental line-up of flute, whistles, harp, bodhran, guitar and vocals – as well as some Irish dance steps thrown in.
• Maca – Two Irish sister-musician-songwriters dubbed “Ireland’s next big thing” are rocking Raglan Road Pub stages with their extraordinary talent. Saoise Carty (guitar, vocals) and Naoise Carty (fiddle, vocals) are from Wexford, Ireland.
• The Raglan Road Irish Dancers – Plucked from the cast and stages of the world’s greatest Irish dance shows, the Raglan Road Irish Dancers perform throughout the Great Irish Hooley. You can even learn some traditional Irish dance steps – no experience necessary!
(Entertainment lineup provided by Raglan Road.)
There’s no cover charge for this event. The event kicks off at 4 p.m. Friday, and runs through Labor Day. Raglan Road Irish Pub & Restaurant is located at Disney Springs in the Walt Disney World Resort, 1640 E. Buena Vista Drive, Lake Buena Vista.
For more information about the eighth annual Great Irish Hooley, visit http://www.raglanroad.com/ and see “Upcoming Events.” Guests may also call 407-938-0300.